Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The vortex of invisibility

I kicked this week off with a long, self-pitying sigh. S. is working hard on Big Oak; a ministry that involves mentoring/training leaders and youth pastors, speaking, evangelism, events & resources. We have yet to raise enough money for a salary. A realtor showed our house twice to a family who is very interested. However, that was 2 weeks ago and no decision has been made. Our foster licensing got held up and is now a month late. I've tried twice to contact the person in the district that can answer my questions about a stipend program when I start homeschooling Darla next month. No answer and the paperwork was supposed to be in last week.

I was lamenting to S. that I feel right now as though I'm in one of those dreams where you jump up and down to get someone's attention. All the while life goes on around you. People are laughing, talking, living, while you yell and no sound comes out. S. laughed at my analogy (I was laughing, too but mine was the "I-better-laugh-or-I-will-cry" type.) He acknowledged, "This is totally crazy, huh?" Things simply seem to interfere with "the next step" in every area of our lives.
My husband is not much for worrying. In fact, he sometimes gets giddy to be able to throw up his hands and wait for God to do something extraordinary. I wouldn't say I felt worry this week. I would say I felt exhausted and beyond ready for the next step in our lives.

Then I got an e mail from a cousin who completely understands my circumstances and me. The line in her e mail that stopped me was,
But isn't it sad that even though our needs are being met in miraculous ways I am still waiting for God to do it in my way?

Bingo. Am I really right back at that place of being like a whiny Israelite who is watching bread fall from the sky? Just wishing it would rain something tastier? I am. I am a weak, tired, whiny person.
"In the day when I cried out, You answered me, and made me bold with strength in my soul." Psalm 138:3
Later in this Psalm David says, "Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you will revive me; you will stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand will save me. The Lord will perfect that which concerns me; Your mercy, O Lord endures forever; do not forsake the works of Your hands." Psalm 138:7,8

I recognize that when the Lord "perfects that which concerns me", it might have very little to do with making my life easy (or even bearable). It may have little to do with the superficial answers I want. It may have much to do with being transformed into being like Christ. It may have to do with surrender and hearing the voice of God.
God isn't fooled by the vortex of invisibility. This week someone dropped off a bunch of produce at our door. Two weeks ago S. went to get an oil change. Apparently someone driving by saw his car in line, went into the shop and paid for our oil change. We picked up an extra camp to speak at this month and got paid a little extra. He is answering...even if it's not the way I want.

Once again I pray that I will look back at this season of my life and be able to say, "It wasn't done 'my way' but WOW! Bread was FALLING from the SKY! How amazing was that?!"


6 comments:

  1. Right there with you, Shilo.

    Oh so ready for this season to be over. Ready to know where we are supposed to be living ... ready to know where we go to church ... ready to know how we are supposed to pay the bills every month (but so thankful that they keep getting paid, by the Lord's provision) ...

    We continue to wait ... for direction ... for security in knowing where we live ... for the ability to sign the kids up for programs, piano lessons, etc ... for friends ...

    It's been a tough year for both of our families. Praying for wisdom to know when to step out in new directions ... patience to sit in our waiting mode ... strength to go on where our energy is running low ...

    love ya,

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! How I needed to read this post tonight. The line from your cousin's email convicted me... I'm so busy waiting for God to do something BIG that I forget to look around me TODAY to see all that He has done.

    Waiting is hard, and waiting for an undetermined length of time for I-don't-even-know-what is even harder. But, I know I will look back on this season and be thankful for all that God has done both in my life and in my heart.

    Thanks for another great post, Shilo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love God's sacred echoes! His persistent call to refocus, to choose to fix my eyes on Him and trust Him to bring about the fullness of His plan and through my life.

    Surely, it is THROUGH the "difficulties" of our lives that He receives the greatest glory of all. It is not by having the "perfect" life that others clearly see Him through us. The appearance of the "perfect" life only creates jealousy and a need for self-vindication for those who are watching. They want (NEED) to see God at work in the realities of this broken world!

    That is where our love for Him and His love poured out through us shines the brightest and has the greatest capacity to draw others to Him, not to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, Shilo, your words touch me to the core. You are such an encouragement and God is using you in so many ways!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shilo,

    It is always amazing to me that we are only able to see the things we want to see, or expect to see. When we can let go of the perimeters of what we want then we are left with FAITH, and that is the one quality God seems to want to grow in us the most! I love you and I am praying and cheering you on!! Our God is so good.

    ReplyDelete