Saturday, October 3, 2009

Darla Jules





Our little four year old's new fascination is Egypt. She asked to go there last week. When I told her it's too far to stop by she nodded knowingly & said, "Does it take all day like going to Montana?" I soon discovered why she wants to visit Egypt when she asked, "Mom, if I go there do you think God would open up the Red Sea for me so I can see where the Pharaoh and his chariots are?" (Her only concern in visiting was that there might still be a hard hearted Pharaoh ruling.) We have had great fun this week looking up pictures and facts about Egypt.

It's moments like these that I look at her and think, "Is she really only four?" Darla is constantly amazing us because she has this beautiful ability to articulate the things most kids only think. She devours books & memorizes unbelievably. We often smile because she picks up on tones and even humor that we don't expect to see her comprehend. I heard her yesterday telling Hudson something and then saying, "Just kiddin'. Hudson, do you know what kiddin' is? It's like teasing. I'm joking with you, Hudson."


We're so thankful to have her as our oldest. There are times I reign her in because she has this idea that "If I sound like Mom, look like Mom, act like Mom...surely I can boss people around like Mom." (Oh, how I see myself in her...I take this moment to apologize to my younger brothers!) At the same time, much like her Dad, Darla is full of ideas and fantastic roles for everyone to play in her make believe. As a result, her brothers love to play with her (often they cry when she requests alone time) and they seek her leadership.

I thank God often for Darla's ability to affirm. Spontaneously we hear "Dad, you're rock-awesome." "Guess what? I love you!" "Mom, you're cute all the time no matter what you wear or look like." The life verse we picked for her is Zephaniah 3:17 "The Lord your God, in your midst, the Mighty One will save. He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing."

We picked this verse when Darla Jules was young but we knew from the start that she was going to be an intense, relational person who would need to be quieted, calmed, by the Lord. She is also our rejoicing, life-loving, glad little lady.

2 comments:

  1. i am blog stalking you;) and if Darla ever needs alone time send her to Corrie in Colorado;)
    xoxox
    corrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE that you have a blog!!!!!! i will read and comment all the time!!!!

    i LOVE this post. everything about it!

    ReplyDelete